[Coco] HDBDOS (IDE) & MESS (Coco2)

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 12 07:58:49 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Apologies if this info is elsewhere but a search through the last few years
of the mailing list archives didn't give me any hints...

I'm trying to run my HDBDOS (IDE) image with the Coco2 in MESS v152.

So what I've done is replace the disk11.rom image with my HDBDOS image;
that's loading fine.

I then start up MESS with the -flop1 and -hard1 options specifying floppy
and hard drive images respectively. The hard drive image I'm using is the
one that works with my aforementioned HDBDOS image. I'm aware the RSDOS
offset is not 'standard', but since my HDBDOS image matches my hard disk
image, that should be OK - right?

I get the HDB-DOS startup screen, and then:

LBA HARD DRIVE NOT FOUND

This suggests to me that the issue is perhaps not with the image itself, but
the emulation in MESS?!? What is HDBDOS doing to 'detect' an IDE drive? Is
it issuing an IDETIFY_DEVICE command (I seem to recall that it is). I
couldn't see any support for that in MESS's coco_vhd.c file... maybe this is
the issue?

Regards,