[Coco] Windows vs. Linux (was 512K upgrade)

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Mon Mar 10 18:01:11 EDT 2014

Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 13:36:31 -0400
From: Louis Ciotti<lciotti at me.com>

As for a new computer used delving into computers with linux, it will take a lot of dedication for them to stick with it.  IMHO when it comes to installing new hardware and software linux can still be a bear.

Well, I really mean new BASIC computer users (of course not the programming language!). For the person who really just wants e-mail, Facebook, and some Internet browsing most versions of Linux are ready to go. I prefer Mint because it is specifically designed to be plug-n-play user friendly -- Mint has a lot of proprietary (but free to use) drivers and codecs with it so you don't have to track them down and install. You even have to do that for some Windows codecs.

Mint and most Ubuntu derivatives have a "Software Manager" that allows easy searching and installing/uninstalling of software. Most of the packages in SM have been tested, but not all. The only issue I've had is that the packages in SM are usually 1-2 versions behind the current ones, and some of the distributions are a bit slow to update. But it's just find what you want then click to install.

Some software, like the latest version of many packages, CAN be a bit difficult to install. There is usually a lot of help available on-line. I've had to get help to get some hardware to work right, but it's not too bad.

I have got a virus almost as soon as I connected to the Internet on a Windows machine. It's been a while, and the first thing I did was d/l a good virus program that cleaned it up, but it can happen. I've never got a virus with Linux, but have got some advertising "malware" that took a little time to get rid of. I'm connected to a router with a firewall, so that helps. If I didn't have that I may have been bitten by now.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine