[Coco] RadioShack closing 1100 stores

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Mar 8 14:40:17 EST 2014

On Mar 7, 2014, at 2:44 PM, Danny Amborn <slackware64 at embarqmail.com> wrote:

> On the lighter side here is Letterman's Top 10 Things Sold at Radio
> Shack.  It was just aired a couple nights ago.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-lQdeWQ90

That was great.

Yeah... I still rely on Radio Shack for cables and such, when I don't have time to mail order. They have a real important purpose for getting things done in a timely manner. If they were as cheap as monoprice and has stuff in stock, I'd use them, sure. But that's not really practical.

I do like their growing makerspace stuff. I haven't stopped by the new version of the store yet to see their "Do It Together" counter and see what they really know how to do. I will say I have been surprised to pop in to a nearby Radio Shack and talk to two workers there that built with Arduino.

Maybe the key is to attract the makers as employees?

What would do that? Offer perks -- like huge discounts on maker stuff, so workers had incentives to learn? I used to know alot of people that had jobs at Best Buy just to get the discounts on movies and/or music. Who knows. Might be worth a shot.

-
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sub-Etha Software - http://www.subethasoftware.com - Established 1990!
Sent from my MacBook.