[Coco] RadioShack closing 1100 stores

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Tue Mar 4 17:38:42 EST 2014

Well, looking at the CNN report, the only store they have listed that is
remotely comparable to Radio Shack is AutoZone. I wouldn't compare them
to convenience stores (Dollar General is more of a small department
store, but in convenient locations) and big pharmacy/convenience stores.
Apples and oranges for sure!

I don't feel for them. They haven't been a hobbyist store for a long
time. They still carry some parts and pieces, but few. I don't know that
they would have done as well as they have by catering to hobbyists and
selling computers though. Selling their computer manufacturing and
concentrating on retail sales was probably a smart move -- they sold
while the manufacturing facilities were still worth something. I
remember when the bottom fell out of the PC market and several
manufacturers closed shop. So I call that a very timely move. This
moving to cell phones is the thing I don't understand. Carrying them
yes, but concentrating on them? Too many eggs in one basket!!

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine