[Coco] CoCo SDC - using the flash banks

Shane Broadbent shanetb at telstra.com
Sun Mar 2 01:46:43 EST 2014

Shane Broadbent <shanetb at ...> writes:

> Excellent, thanks for the detailed explanation Darren.
>
> With that info, I was able to get games running from flash.
>
> I picked 4 random 8K ROM PAKs,
>
> Canyon Climber
> Don Pan
> Mega Bug
> Star Blaze
>
> and then tried a 16K PAK,
>
> Thexder.
>
> For the 16K PAK used
>
> Pre-amble:  00 4000 4000
>
> Post-amble: FF 0000 B44A
>
> I also went back to one of my original thoughts and after adding the pre &
> post amble to the Thexder file, I renamed it to SDC-DOS.101 and ran your
> updater program...this worked fine.
>
> So I currently have,
>
> run  <at> 3 (runs Canyon Climer)
> run  <at> 4 (runs Don Pan)
> run  <at> 5 (runs Mega Bug)
> run  <at> 6 (runs Star Blaze)
> run  <at> 7 (runs Thexder)
>
> Thanks again Darren.
>
> Cheers,
> Shane

OK, for anybody that has a CoCo SDC and have not had a chance to check out the
running of ROM PAKs from the CoCo SDC flash banks, here is a small random
collection
of ROM games (5) that I hex edited purely to see a program running from flash.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6iYTp0OOfXtTTdVSFg1dERVNVk/edit?usp=sharing

On the .DSk file I have a modified version of Darrens BASIC loader example from
his blog site.

So if you run"flash.bas on the .DSK, all you have to do is enter the file name
you want and next select the flash bank (I have restricted the options from
3 to 7.

0 being the boot SDC-DOS, 1 being normal extended DOS, and for me I have a
backup
copy of SDC-DOS in bank 2.

so example,

:Place SDCFLASH.DSK on the root of the SD card.
DRIVE0,"SDCFLASH
RUN"FLASH
:Follow onscreen instructions,
:Select File Name
:Select Flash Bank 3 - 7

Once finished, to run the game simply type (assuming you selected bank 3),

run @3

Hope this is worthwhile to someone.

Cheers,
Shane