[Coco] Drivewire on a Pi

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 13:44:39 EDT 2014

It's great to see more implementations, but to suggest that my version
causes the Pi to run hot is just silly.

The java DW4 server uses less than 2% (usually less than 1%) of the
Pi's CPU, even while doing several network operations, supporting a
remote GUI, and serving disk sectors simultaneously.  To put that in
perspective, 'top' (the tool I used to watch the CPU use) uses from 1
to 5% itself.

The DW4 server consumes 32MB of ram by default, but only because this
is the Raspian default setting for JVMs.  You can add -Xmx8m as an
argument to limit this to 8MB (or even 4MB, though this will cause DW
to disable caching and the Pi's disk acess is terribly slow so might
have some issues with timeouts).

Even working DW4 as hard as I could with several telnet sessions, disk
copies and running the os9 web server, DW consumed less than 7% of the
total ram in the Pi and less than 2% of the CPU.

Let's not pretend this is a problem.  It is not.

The user interface is not designed for systems as limited as the Pi,
although it does work and seems perfectly usable to me (once it
finally opens).  If you've run any other software on the Pi, you'll
know that long delays watching the CPU pegged at 100% are just part of
the deal.  I use one to run Xastir (ham radio APRS) and fldigi
(another ham program) and they work at the same speed that DW does,
despite being written in other languages.  The SD card is just very
slow, but once disk access is complete the Pi really performs quite
nicely.

In any case, DW4 is usable without the GUI, or you can run the GUI on
another machine.