[Coco] Setting up xroar on linux

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Tue Jun 24 02:25:56 EDT 2014

Bob Devries wrote:

> On 24/06/2014 3:10 AM, Ciaran Anscomb wrote:
> > Alternatively, have them in your home directory under "~/.xroar/roms/".
> Hi Ciaran,
> I have now installed the Windows version also, and after reading your
> document, particularly the troubleshooting section, it would appear that
> neither the linux nor the Windows (Windows 8.2) version see my rom file.

> The file was downloaded from the dragon website, and once unzipped, is
> called COCO.ROM. That file has all three ROMs in it, CB, ECB and DECB.
> It has a two byte preamble ($0080).\

Oh, not sure I've seen that format before.  XRoar needs the same as MESS
- a raw headerless dump (actually it supports a 16 byte header in files
with a ".dgn" extension too, for compatibility with "PC Dragon" ROMs,
but it just ignores the first 16 bytes in that case).

You could try any of the coco* zips here (unzip first):

http://cominf0.narod.ru/mess123.htm

I guess I can add an "if file size is 8/16/24K + 2 bytes, treat specially"
rule to the rom loading logic...  Out of interest, do you know which
emulator that image actually works with?

..ciaran