[Coco] Suggestions?

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Sun Jun 22 08:49:51 EDT 2014

I wouldn't worry about Mechner. He was flattered by the incredible Prince
of Persia port to the C-64 a few years back, and those rights are certainly
not reverted. While it's true that Karateka is an active IP, since this is
not a commercial project, I'm sure like Lode Runner, it will happily slip
under the radar like the vast majority of these homebrew efforts do,
regardless of platform. Even those that are sold only occasionally get
cease and desists, and only when someone goes out of their way to report it
(like Princess Quest, aka, Super Mario Bros., for the Atari 2600).

As for Karateka's gameplay, I'd argue that its gameplay is just as well
remembered as its cinematic qualities. As long as you approach Karateka
like something of a strategic fighting game rather than a button masher
(which you really can't anyway), then I think it's very easy to appreciate
the gameplay. There's a reason why the modern day Karateka for systems like
the Xbox 360 and iPad is all timing-based rather than a free-form fighter.
It's a completely refreshing experience to almost every other type of
fighting game we've ever gotten.

-Bill

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and