[Coco] Coco -> Arduino -> Drivewire and back again... the arduino code... for connecting via the serial

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jun 20 19:57:19 EDT 2014

On 21/06/2014 8:08 AM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Nick, every project I have uses an internet updater. The programs will update themselves from the Coco or emulator directly from the update site. I'm also working on an FTP browser as well as an internet source repository. Bill noble is also working on an FTP project as well.

Is it that much harder to just download an update/patch program to install?
I would have thought that would be more widely available to everyone and
possibly less fault prone?
> As far as Midi... if you're using DW4, you can't use the serial port (it's being used for dw4). Also, the serial port only allows connection to a real Midi device, such as a midi keyboard or a PC (midi equipped) as a virtual host.
> DW4 Midi has a built in Java virtual synth an can access ANY virtual synth you may have on your PC (win, Linux, or mac, and windows has a built in synth and there's hundreds for free download) and play music directly from the Coco.
> As a gaming programmer, I just can't see why you wouldn't be interested. Midi's overhead is 1/100th (or more) that of wavetable sound and actual music storage is minimal. It wouldn't have to be exclusive, but an option to use Midi in games. It would be relatively easy to write a background midi parser to run on an interrupt to play background music while the game is running. Almost every PC game through WinXP used either Midi or Mods for game music and sound effects... and yes, you can do sound effects with Midi. You need a midi synth engine for your PC that will use soundfonts and then design a soundfont with your PCM FX samples to be triggered by certain notes on a midi channel.
Simple reason for not being interested in using Midi is the same reason
why not many games support the sound and speech cartridge.... few people
have one or at least have it set up.

 From a commercial programming angle, you always support the most
popular/common standards. That way everyone benefits.

I also have a problem with the concept that my "sound card" (midi
device) costs more than the CoCo itself.   :)

> And yes, I use Midi on the Coco quite often and plan to use it more as I get my system tied in better. I control my midi synth on my PC as well as a full stagelight system and my Fender CyberTwin amplifier (extensive Midi capabilities). All from my Coco while playing the Midi music as well.  I have Midi synths and Coco serial to midi cable, as well as a Coco MidiPak. But why run all those cables when Dw4 is already connected and I have multitudes of midi software on my PC that can be accessed by my Coco as well as passed to the outside Midi gear.
As I said, I know a handful of people (barely that) that use Midi on the
CoCo and you are one of them.  :)

> Anyway, most modern Midi gear is doing away with the standard Midi ports and replacing them with USB midi ports so the coco serial or the Coco MidiPak would not work without a Midi to USB adapter.

So, what the CoCo really needs a USB interface... if that's possible.

Nick