[Coco] DriveWire survey results

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 16:11:24 EDT 2014

I should have had a question about that kind of thing on the survey.. doh.

Personally I dislike programs that "phone home", so I've always been
hesitant to add those types of things.  OTOH they do have clear value
in some cases.  I do use them in some of my commercial software.

Right now, DW will only go check for new versions if you tell it to,
and it will only send diagnostic information to me if you tell it to.
It can actually send very detailed usage and environment info, but
only if the user decides they want to do that. So the capabilities are
all there, just not automated.

In reality, all this has done for me so far is to ensure that at least
once a week, somebody using an old version submits a bug report about
something long ago fixed :(  Usually they don't include any contact
info (they can, but DW doesn't require it when submitting a bug
report) so I just hang my head in sorrow.

Anyway... I could make the usage reporting automatic with very little
effort, assuming people don't mind.  Or maybe have an opt-in or out
option in the setup wizard.  It's a good idea.

-Aaron