[Coco] NitrOS-9 on a 128k Coco-3

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Jun 19 12:39:32 EDT 2014

Kandur, you don't count tracks on both sides, that would be an 5.25 80 trk DSHD drive.... a 720k drive. They hold the same as a 3.5 720k drive but are "double stepped", meaning the tracks are double the density of the 5.25 360k disks though the disks are the same size. The tracks are half as wide as the tracks on 360k disks, therefore the drive head step is half the distance hence the "double step".
Another thing to remember, is to use only the HD disks in that drive. Normal Coco compatible DSDD disks will probably not be reliable.

Gene can probably verify the dmode settings for one of those, but I think it's:
dmode /dx typ=20 dns=3 cyl=50 sid=52

As for the software disk timers, I've found every one that I've tested, and I have about 4 or 5 for RSDOS and one for OS9 and they all seem to be pretty accurate. There's a percentage margin for error anyway, they don't need to be "dead on" 300 rpm.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com