[Coco] 80 pin ultra wide SCSI drives for the Coco

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jun 13 17:08:23 EDT 2014

On Friday 13 June 2014 16:03:48 Kandur did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Most old Coco HD controllers were made for 50 pin SCSI-1 drives.
> These days they are low on capacity, high on noise, rare
> and priced ridiculously high.

Humm.  I have a pair of 1Gb seagate Hawks, scsi-ii interface, on my TC^3
controller, works great.  Those date back to the 90's and my amiga days.

> Enter the 80 pin ultra wide SCSI drives,
> they are high on capacity, low on noise and priced reasonably.
> Add a cheap 80+64+50+power adapter,  a 64 pin cable with terminator,
> use your 50 pin cable to connect it to the old Coco controller.
> It's in the testing phase here, now.
> http://qdv.pw/eng/_photos/Computers/Coco/hd-setup/
>
> Kandur

That 73Gb is I believe well beyond what the coco/nitros9 can handle.
OTOH, with 4Gb available as is, thats enough to archive just about
everything ever compiled to run on the coco's.  That limit is of course
set by the size of the FAT, which is limited to 64Kb.  But that, if a FAT
bit is 64kb (256 sectors per cluster) then thats 34,359,738,368 bytes
available per each "partition".  Room enough for 2 such partitions on a
73Gb drive.  But while I haven't checked, I suspect the 24 bit address on
the scsi-ii buss itself would be a smaller limit because of overflows, and
the actual limit then would still be 34,359,738,368 bytes per drive.

I also have cabbaged some scsi-iii drives, 80 pinners, 300-500Gb
capacities but haven't tried to cobble up the interfaces, they out of old
apple video servers that have since self destructed when a fan failed.

When the first one fried after about 6 months, Apples attitude was too
bad, so sad, but we have more at $7995 each.  At that point Jim started
building our own, using linux, for about 2 grand each.  They are still
working yet today.

That adapter & terminator stuff is out of style & generally out of the
supply chains since scsi was largely beheaded by sata.

If someone still has that stuff on the shelf, please post the URL, I would
invest myself if the medics leave me enough money.  I had a PE that almost
punched my ticket 2 weeks ago last Wed. evening, but the clot buster shot
($10G's) worked and I feel better than I have in months right now.  Free
bleeder though, taking warfarin till whenever.  So I'll be around to
heckle & be heckled for a while yet.  I'll hit the 80th in October. CHF
signs, like vary fat feet, are fading away by the day, as is the weight
they represented.

I am glad to still be here, and I'll make the statement that a Pulmonary
Embolism (blood clot in the lungs) is a hell of a way to die, not at all
pleasant.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)