[Coco] Sacrificial carts - opinions?

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sun Jun 8 14:17:57 EDT 2014

On Jun 8, 2014, at 11:00 , Tormod Volden <lists.tormod at gmail.com> wrote:
> For injection molding there are the "real" molds in steel that can be
> used to mold millions of parts, but there are also lower quality molds
> with cheaper tooling cost for making smaller volumes. I think they are
> called low-volume injection molds or rapid injection molds.

That would be "hard tooling" (steel) vs. "soft tooling" (aluminum). The $10k I estimated would be for soft tooling, good for maybe 100k injection cycles. I've never done hard tooling so I can only guess, but I gather that it is MUCH more expensive. Maybe around 10x. The soft tooling jobs I've done had tooling costs in the $6k to $20k range, and were custom enclosures for evaluation boards I designed for my company's GPS chipsets. They had company logos on top, which probably increased the tooling cost due to more machining time.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/