[Coco] OS9 defrag

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Jun 4 00:32:34 EDT 2014

On Jun 3, 2014, at 6:36 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> What's the best HD defrag program for OS9?

Fastest: Optimize Utility Set (or something like that) by Jordan Tsvetcoff (sp?). It did a file defrag, very fast. It did not reconsolidate empty space, though.

Best: B&B's File System Repack would optimize and move everything, but would take days to run on my 20MB drive. It made the drive so optmized, moving the directory around and everything, that it was completely silent (except for spinning) until it fragged up again. Amazing.

Speeddisk was OSK.

There was also another one -- I think B&B brought it out -- it was CBM or something -- compress bitmap? It had a graphical display of dots. I forget what it did.

I had them all, back in the day (well, technically, still do).

Optmize Utility Set was my favorite. You could run taht on active systems just fine. If it crashed, the original file was still there -- basically, in OS-9, if you do a copy, it will try to make the destination file on segment. So you could make a simple script to copy every file to a temp name, delete the original and rename the temp, and have no fragmented files.

The bitmap, freespace, etc. would be fragmented.

It's the difference between "optimizer" and "defragmenter".

		-- A