[Coco] X-PAD Service Manual

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 11:14:02 EDT 2014

On Tue Jun 3, 2014, Brian Goers wrote:

Thanks to Robert Gault and Bil Pierce for your replies.

> The pen is the signal transmitter and the pad the receiver.
> I have the manual, from it I entered a short program to read X, Y and
> status. It shows the pen in one position and the status is 29. But never
> changes.
>
> First I will clean the pen body to see if that gives me a signal.
> If not I'll have to do some more testing. I do still want a service manual.

If I recall correctly the X-Pad can not be used on a CoCo 2 without an MPI
as it needs the 12vdc power feed. There are a couple of trim pots within
the pad that can be adjusted, last I checked the trim they allow as not
that much - this was years ago when I did some explorations with the pad.

I'm looking for an article on 80 Micro that featured the X-Pad and had more
insight on its inner working. I think it was written either by Jake
Commander or Bill Barden - I remember reading it throughout but can't
recall the issue date. Tried the online 80 Micro archive to no avail, need
to browse the hardcopy issues I have at home as soon as I get out of the
office. Will post a follow up.

-- RP