[Coco] X-PAD Service Manual

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Jun 3 07:53:42 EDT 2014

According to what Gene told me once, the pad is like a big antennae grid. and the pen produces a signal (or other way around?). The closer you get, the stronger the signal gets and I think there's a small pressure switch in the tip of the pen for when you actually touch the surface. Gene can explain it better.
I got mine over a year ago and still haven't hooked it up. It was almost brand new, and the surface/templet looked like it had not been marked on.

One note, it will not work in Coco 3 OS9 L2 as the pad & pen both require the Coco's timing and in L2, the clock is doubled causing it to not work properly. A driver would have to be written that slows down the clock when the pen is read.
There is also some patches for CocoMax in the archives to use the pad instead of the cocomax interface.
The user's manual gives all the tech info on reading the pen in ML.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com