[Coco] Fahrfall game package prototype...

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Thu Jul 31 17:33:38 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 04:05:29PM -0400, Bill Loguidice wrote:
> Kickstarter is a general interest site and not well suited to niche stuff
> like this. You also have to remember that Kickstarter takes its fees, plus
> there are taxes, etc., so you'll have to generously overestimate what you
> need to hit your target number, and obviously it's an all-or-nothing
> proposition. None of those things and more leads me to believe Kickstarter
> is a viable option for something like this.

The fees and taxes are worth considering.  But any above-board
funding source will run into that, more or less.  The all-or-nothing
part doesn't concern me much, as my go/no-go target is fairly low.
If there are only a handful of people interested, then it isn't worth
my time anyway.

> Basically you're making the
> assumption that there are CoCo fans out there you can't reach on this
> mailing list, Facebook, or AtariAge that you somehow can reach on
> Kickstarter.

Well, not really.  As was pointed-out, it doesn't make much sense to
rely on Kickstarter by itself for publicity anyway.

My thinking is that Kickstarter provides some organizational discipline
to the process.  Also, a limited time window for an initial run may
discourage fence-sitting in a way that "anyone want one?" may not.
Plus, going through the process of setting-up the Kickstarter campaign
at least puts a focal point on the "what is this?" part of the project
and provides a central URL for the marketing without me having to
build the site myself.

Is there anyone that hates Kickstarter on principle?  Would anyone
not want a cartridge if it was offered through Kickstarter?

John