[Coco] MESS on Raspberry Pi

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 22:30:15 EDT 2014

On Jul 30, 2014 10:26 PM, <nickma2 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>  Interesting idea using the Rasberry Pi as a CoCo3 but I think I'll
> stick with my little $100 Windows netbook laptop.
>
> Sure, it costs a bit more than a Pi (I only paid $100) but then, it
> does include it's own screen, keyboard, it's portable, runs 100%
> speed, easy to install standard VCC or MESS and runs as a Drivewire
> server to my real CoCo (with USB to Serial Adaptor)
>
> So unless I have a lot of time to waste, what advantage do I get
> running it on a Pi?

All fair points.  The one advantage I could see would be that the pi can be
installed inside a coco case and made into a pretty cool cosmetic hack.
But functionally, it has a lot of compromises.  A more powerful board like
the beagle black or one of the many Chinese boards would probably solve the
speed issues but put you into the price range of a used laptop pretty
quickly.