[Coco] a not very important drivewire question

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Thu Jul 17 21:37:59 EDT 2014

I'm going to take Kip's points one by one for a detailed response.

EOF character to terminate printing:

Using an "EOF" character is generally not a good idea, especially since
nothing on the CoCo has the notion of an EOF character in the first
place. That would be introducing new semantics what nothing would be
expecting. Further, no existing software would know about it which would
be problematic. Better would be a button in the Drivewire GUI or a
simple timeout that dumps the buffer. That has the highest compatibility
with everything else and is probably the easiest to implement.

16K HDB-DOS ROM:

This is *technically* possible. It runs into an extreme hurdle with the
Coco3, however, because there is only 8K between the Color Basic ROM
area and the Coco3 enhancements. While it is trivial to use the
additional 8K on a Coco1/2 system, it is not on a Coco3. It would
require having different ROMs for the Coco1/2 and Coco3 because the
workarounds to make it work on a Coco3 are not compatible with a Coco1/2
system.

All that said, I agree it would be nice if it did work. It would allow
having multiple hardware drivers at once, among other things.

DECB and extra memory on the Coco3:

This is just not practical. The entire ROM is written with the
assumption of 16 bit pointers. It is just not possible to rework it to
work with a larger memory map than it already uses without completely
rewriting a nontrivial amount of it.

Paging schemes could work for some extensions. However, this, too, could
require some very significant rewrites to a massive amount of code in
the existing ROMs. If you don't care about binary compatibility of the
resulting ROM, then it is at least theoretically possible to have DECB
use the memory on the Coco3 more effectively, for buffers and the like
at the very least. It might also be possible to relocate the variable
table or split string space, the variable table, program space, and the
call stack into different memory chunks, removing the need for CLEARxxx
to get enough string space. But this starts getting complicated fast.

Combining ROMs:

Combining the ROMs (Color Basic, Extended Basic, HDB-DOS, and Super
Extended Basic) into a single 32K ROM is definitely possible. Leaving
off the SECB part for a Coco1/2 system makes it fairly trivial. Doing it
for the Coco3 requires redoing a fair chunk of the system initialization
code because the ROM space used by it is in the C000...DFFF range
(including the fancy picture, which would have to be eliminated).
Fortunately, there is wasted space at the top of the SECB ROM area that
can be co-opted for this initialization code. I have actually
successfully done this with a replacement ROM using Mess.

Removing redundant routines is certainly possible when doing this.
However, you have to be *very* careful what you do here. Far too many
things people use have detailed knowledge of various ROM routine
locations. Changing any of that will break a great many things. There
are some largish areas that could be regained, but whether they are
large enough to be truly useful depends on the specific enhancements.

If you were happy to throw away binary compatibility altogether (which
you would have to with your paging idea), there is a fair bit more space
that can be freed by virtue of having unified routines. Additionally,
there is a very significant amount of space that can be saved in the
SECB ROM area by simply doing basic optimization on the code. Without
trying, I think I was able to compact a few hundred bytes out of it.
When you eliminate the extra contortions with RAM hooks, you save a fair
chunk more.

The upside of doing it this way is that there is a large amount of space
that can be reclaimed and it should be plenty to implement multiple
device drivers for disks and so on.

The biggest issue with replacing the internal ROM on the Coco3 is that
it is not socketed.