[Coco] How to convert a .CCC file to a .BIN file?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Jul 10 18:28:43 EDT 2014

spereira1952 at comcast.net wrote:
> Hello again, all,
>
> I see on the Color Computer Archive there are a significant number of cartridge files with the extension .CCC
>
> Can anyone please point me to instructions on how to convert a .CCC file to a .BIN file, so I can load the .BIN file into my CoCo 3 via HDB-DOS and Drivewire?
>
> Alternately, is there a program that I can run that can read the .CCC file into my CoCo 3 as if it were a .BIN file?
>
> Thanks, in advance, for your advice.
>
> smp

In short, there is no program that can guaranty conversion of .ccc files to .bin
files. That's because the .ccc file may be one or more .bas or .dat files or a
mix with .bin files.
Also programs written for Coco systems without disk controllers may use low RAM
not available with disk systems.

What you can do is mount the .ccc file in MESS or VCC and under Coco emulation
execute a SKIPF until you get to the end of the .ccc file. That will tell you
the names of any files included in the tape emulation.
If all the files are of the .bas type, you can CLOAD"filename" them and then
SAVE"filename" them to disk. If they are .bin files, you will need to CLOAD them
hoping it works on a disk system. Find the beginning, end, and exec addresses
and then SAVEM"filename",start,end,exec.

You are much better off either sticking with the .ccc file or checking the site
disk directory to see if the program has already been converted to disk.

Robert