[Coco] more 1 bit madness

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Jan 31 23:15:37 EST 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 10:48 AM, Steve <6809er at srbsoftware.com> wrote:

> Never needed to poll the speech sound pak since I used the v-sync Interrupt to feed information into it at the right time. (Changing the 3 "voice" channels of the Sound FX chip.)  I never used the speech side of the cart in my games.

Hey! Not true! Your Ghana Bwana said "Ugga!" when you shot the natives. :-) That counts!

> By the way, the SSP used a General Instrument AY-3-8910 sound chip.
> See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Instrument_AY-3-8910
>
> This chip was widely used in the Video Game industry.  From Arcade Games to the Vectrex, I've written quite a few games using it.  I even produced a 6 Voice (2 chip) version called Hard Music for the TRS-80 I/III.  This was a follow up to my software only "Soft Music" that played two voices simultaneously in tune.  A first for any home computer just using software to pull it off.

This was a big surprise to me when I found that out -- via seeing it in MAME/MESS.

I am exploring MAME again via a cheap OUYA box and I see many 6809 based arcade games, but the odd thing is seeing some that claim they use a 10Mhz or 8Mhz 6809 -- huh?

-
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sub-Etha Software - http://www.subethasoftware.com - Established 1990!
Sent from my MacBook.