[Coco] Stay warm

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jan 30 11:00:27 EST 2014

On Thursday 30 January 2014 10:45:36 Philip Zeigler did opine:

> We had a snow plow here in Georgia but we loaned it to Alabama and never
> got it back :)
>
> Philip

You guys are killing me!  I learned to drive, in 1949-1950, where it was
matter of fact to drive 70 mph on 6" of packed ice & snow on the hiways.

You don't forget, ever, that a moving vehicle is a ballistic missile that
you have to steer by judging how much traction IS available, and driving
far enough ahead of yourself so you can slow to maintain control when the
corners come up.

I once followed a 77 Bronco with pretty good tires on it up the hill to the
tv station where my office door said Chief Engineer, with the bronco
spinning all 4 tires on the black ice. I was in a 2wd, 73 olds F85 wagon,
seriously bald tires.

Now both rigs in the drive are 4wd, its just how things are in WV, but I
get in and go when I have to go.  If over a foot of snow, I may chain the
front end for steering axle traction, but its more to placate my worry wart
DW than for my own ability to "get there".

That is a driving talent one never really forgets.  And it drives the DW,
who was taught by an idiot drivers ed teacher, totally out of her mind.