[Coco] Read it and weep

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Tue Jan 28 21:21:31 EST 2014

On 1/28/2014 4:20 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 January 2014 18:19:26 Boisy Pitre did opine:
>
>> I know it’s getting off-topic a bit, but Pete Seeger did help promote
>> Cajun music too. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkPmTzjIr2s

>>> To set the record straight, Pete Seeger played a long neck 5 string
>>> banjo, not a 4 string.  He played a style known as
>>> frailing/clawhammer, some times drop thumb.
>>>
>>> Tim
> And I'll point out that what he is playing in the above video is a 4
> string.
>

> Cheers, Gene
Gene,

You better get your eyes checked.  He is playing a 5 string  banjo in
the video.  Note the 5th string peg by his thumb. Also the style he is
playing is not played on a 4 string (plectrum) banjo, only a 5 string.

I will defer to you on the coco stuff, But I have played a banjo for 40
years + and built a few over the years.  Pete is playing a 5 string.

Tim