[Coco] Read it and weep

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Jan 28 19:05:39 EST 2014

Gene, that's a 5-string. Pete's capo and thumb are right at the 5th string tuning key about halfway down the fretboard and for the most part, hiding the tuning key. You have to go fullscreen to actually see the key sticking up right about where his thumb is also sticking up.
The capo being set on the same fret as the "entry" position of the 5th string suggests that he was tuned non-conventionally and thus his unique banjo style and sound.
On the "liner notes" of one of the albums I own, it says that Pete used to travel about the countyside on foot and on encountering a farm or cabin, he would stop a ways from the residence and draw a "portrait" of the home. He would then present the drawing of the home to the owner in trade for a meal and a night in the barn. During his stay, he would inquire if anyone knew any old songs and would encourage them to teach him the songs. This album is a collection of such songs including an unusual version of "John Henry" with verses that I've never heard before or since. I also have a very similar album of Merle Travis playing a nylon string folk guitar (not classical) and singing old folk songs including a hilarious "I Love That Fat Girl Of Mine" and another unique version of "John Henry"

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com