[Coco] Read it and weep

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jan 28 18:13:18 EST 2014

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 18:05:57 Tim Fadden did opine:

> On 1/28/2014 10:02 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 January 2014 11:45:39 Bill Pierce did opine:
> >> Gene, I read that this morning and it saddened me greatly. I learned
> >> a lot from Pere Seeger. I was too young to be a part of the whole
> >> "protest movement", but discovered an old Pete Seeger album in a box
> >> of radio station "demo" records a friend gave me. It was just an
> >> album of some simple folk songs played on 4-string banjo. I then
> >> collected anything I could find on the man and saw a few
> >> performances on PBS. He showed me that a couple of chords and a
> >> simple line of truth could say more than any 10 page speech from a
> >> podium.
> >>
> >> As Jimi sang it: "If I don't see you agin in this world, I'll see you
> >> in the next one... and don't be late!" And as Arlo would say: "We're
> >> just waitin' for it to come around again on the guitar...."
> >
> > And a lot of it did, covered by quite a few others.  But no one seemed
> > to have quite the easy flowing, but great diction that Pete did.
> >
> > I wonder if his 4 string will ever show up at Christy's?  It should
> > draw a pretty good bid I'd think, since it positively reeks of music
> > history.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> To set the record straight, Pete Seeger played a long neck 5 string
> banjo, not a 4 string.  He played a style known as frailing/clawhammer,
> some times drop thumb.
>
> Tim

One of the MSN stories said it was a 4 string, but I didn't actually count
the strings on the definitely loooong necked one in the poor picture.  One
of the locals, now passed, had a similar banjo I believe, but while he
played it well, his place to shine was on the Mandolin.  At 80 yo, his
fingers could still start a fire on the fretboard.  He passed about 2 years
back, nearly 90.  Both he, and his music are missed by me.  He once sat in
a jam session that included Flat, Scruggs, and Skaggs.  Thats pretty good
company.