[Coco] Issues with NitrOS9 build

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Jan 26 14:42:08 EST 2014

Bob Devries wrote:
> Gene,
>
> I'm with you on that one.
>
> I suggest an entry in rules.mak. That would mean just a single line change in
> rules.mak at build time to change the value to 5.25" or 3.5".
>
> E.g. D80TRK=5
> or D80TRK=3
>
> and based on that, the 80 track descriptors should be correctly built, and also
> the format command will select the correct DD.FMT value for LSN0 for 5.25" or
> 3.5" at the discretion of the user/builder.
>
> More thoughts anyone?
>
> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australia

If you look in the technical section of OS-9 Level2 you will find that IT.TYP
bit 0 is defined 0=5" floppy so you would expect 1=3.5" floppy. ITDNS is defined
as bit0 0=FM 1=MFM, bit1 0=5" 48tpi 1=5" 96tpi. It does not seems to be
explicitly stated but DD.FMT bit0 0=single sided 1=double sided bit1 is density.

NitrOS-9 has followed this convention and there is no need to change these
definitions. What would make sense is to decide what format we want an 80-track
disk to have. It seems reasonable to me that all 40-track disk images be 5.25"
48tpi disks and all 80-track disk images be 3.5" 135tpi. By convention in the
current rbf.d file, 48tpi and 135tpi disks are both assigned DNS.STD while 96
tpi is assigned DNS.DTD.

It should be clear to all, that the initial report of this problem did not
indicate anything about the actual hardware in use for drives. Please please
everyone, in future when reporting problems present enough data for the problem
to be solved. In this case, reporting a problem with DD.FMT and not indicating
the version of NitrOS-9 in use, whether actual hardware or an emulator was used
for testing, and what drive hardware was used made it impossible to formulate
any theories.

Robert