[Coco] Issues with NitrOS9 build

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 15:14:09 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Robert Gault wrote:
> Bob Devries wrote:
>>
>> Well, I got it to work, but I fail to understand why.
>>
>> I changed offset $10 (DD.FMT) in LSN 0 from $07 to $03, and it boots
>> correctly.
>>
>> That change makes the disk a 48TPI instead of 96TPI.
>>
>> Why does the TPI setting have *any* effect on the operation especially in
>> an
>> emulator. *something's* not right here.

> Strange, I just looked at the repository and don't see why the DD.FMT should
> be 96tpi. Rules.mak defines 80-track disk as follows.
>
> OS9FORMAT_DS80  = os9 format -e -t80 -ds -dd
>
> Unless lwtools has changed I don't see why DD.FMT changed on your disks.

Where are these things documented? I mean 80 tracks, double sided,
double density should set specific bits in LSN0, and I people here are
saying which and so on, but where can I read the whole, authoritative
story?

Is this the best shot?
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nitros9/index.php?title=NitrOS-9_Technical_Reference#Identification_Sector_.28LSN_0.29

Before anything else, I would like to be assured that Toolshed "os9
format" is doing the right thing.

Tormod