[Coco] Issues with NitrOS9 build

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 15:02:46 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:
> Bob Devries wrote:
>>
>> Well, I got it to work, but I fail to understand why.
>>
>> I changed offset $10 (DD.FMT) in LSN 0 from $07 to $03, and it boots
>> correctly.
>>
>> That change makes the disk a 48TPI instead of 96TPI.
>>
>> Why does the TPI setting have *any* effect on the operation especially in
>> an
>> emulator. *something's* not right here.
>>
>> Regards, Bob Devries
>> Dalby, QLD, Australia
>>

> Bob,
>
> I think you have an intermediate update of NitrOS-9. Some changes have been
> made to rb1773 intended to prevent problems writing to disks formatted
> differently from what a specific floppy drive can handle. Basically a
> mismatch between disk format and descriptor values.
> You seem to have created 96tpi disks without having the newest rb1773 driver
> and that is preventing you from reading the disks.
>
> I just tested both MESS and VCC using the newest rb1773 with both DD.FMT
> 48tpi and 96tpi and the disks boot correctly.
>
> I had thought the repository was updated for the new rb1773, so don't know
> why you are having problems.

Robert, if you mean Gene's and your stuff that we are massaging behind
the scenes, the make-48-TPI-disk-readonly-on-96-TPI-drive patch has
not been pushed to the repo yet because it hasn't been tested. Some of
the other (unrelated) changes have been pushed in separate commits. I
am /not/ just copying a "new rb1773" wholesale. We already found bugs
and unconfirmed changes.

Anyway, I believe Bob's disk images were formatted by toolshed and not
by NitrOS-9 itself so the driver didn't come into play.

Tormod