[Coco] OT Nightmare of DSL

Steve 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Fri Jan 24 15:09:58 EST 2014

Simmon,

With DSL, distance from the central equipment is the key getting good
bandwidth.  If you are 3 or miles from it, then this would explain the
poor quality of service.  I my part of Los Angles, we have a very old
phone network with very long runs to the central equipment.  About 25%
of the homes can not be wired for DLS because the lines are too long.
For those people, cable internet is there only option.

In your case, I'm sure you put DSL filters on all the phone devices (but
the modem).  But if you are on the outer limits of DSL range, that would
explain low bandwidth and dropping of the service.   Try talk with your
DSL company again.  If they can not fix the problem, they should let you
out of their service contract.  After all, they are not holding up there
end of the service contact.

For me, I lucky that I have three Internet services where I live. DSL,
Cable and FIOS.  I'm with FIOS and get 50 mbs up/down with a ping so low
that it does not even show up on the standard test. (Ping is 0 ms.)
That's only second level of the service with other options of 100 mbs or
more.  I get great skype group (HD) video calls when I'm the center of
the hub.

The only service that would be better is Google's at 1 gbs. (That's
1,000 mbs)  But have to live in one the smaller cites that has their
service.

Steve