[Coco] Source to MultiVue or Gshell

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jan 23 16:39:15 EST 2014

Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at ...> writes:

> To do anything with gshell, you'll need to read (extensively) the OS-9
Level 2 Developement System, OS-9
> Level 2 Technical reference, OS-9 Level 2 Windowing System, and the
Multivue manuals as the info to
> programming for Multivue is spread throughout all of them. GShell has a
pretty complex methode of setting
> up menus.
> Then you'll have to figure out the (mostly) uncommented source code and
what it's doing.

Ok... you've successfully talked me out of it!  :)

I think I'd be better writing a new OS/GUI from scratch!  :)

I actually did design a new RS-DOS GUI front-end as graphic images to
visualize the design. The idea was not to worry about multi-tasking but
rather to do task switching. The idea was that it be developed for running
specific applications fast and efficiently on the 1.79Mhz hardware of a CoCo3.

No windows as such, instead full screen app windows with a pop-up task
scheduler to jump between multiple full screen apps.

I figured that the modern GUI is reather in need of something faster the
1.79Mhz to make it worthwhile and avoid the sluggishness inherant in many of
these GUI's that are trying to be a MAC style GUI with movable windows and
icons, originally developed on 16 bit 8Mhz or faster systems onto an 8-bit
2Mhz system.

A bit adventurous to do properly.

I've lost those files though but will try to resurrect them from memory.

Nick