[Coco] Why haven't we got this?!!

Michael Kerpan mjkerpan at kerpan.com
Thu Jan 23 13:26:36 EST 2014

Actually, SymbOS does run on standard Z80 hardware. While it did run
on an FPGA "super-CPC", it also ran well on normal CPC/CPC+ hardware,
as long as there was some expansion RAM available. I've run it on an
emulated CPC with the only non-standard thing enabled being expansion
RAM and it's more resposive than you'd think. It was obviously more
fun to use if you had the Symbiface II (an IDE/CF interface designed
by the same folks who wrote SymbOS), but if you didn't mind swapping
disks, it could be used without one. The MSX version was even more
impressive given that it actually supported a fairly wide array of
add-on hardware from multiple vendors, including multiple storage
controllers, an enhanced video card and even an MP3 decoding module.
The main problem with Symbos wasn't speed but the lack of useful
software. Some of the included apps were quite clever (the music
player and the included PacMan clone were especially nice), but key
things like a text editor never got off the ground and thrid party
development was essentially nil.

Mike