[Coco] [OT] Commodore 64 slow floppy

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jan 22 15:14:56 EST 2014

On Wednesday 22 January 2014 15:04:13 Glen VanDenBiggelaar did opine:

> Gene, I am interested why you would state that, from all I have read,
> Jack didn't give 2 hoots about the OS, as long as it was "Free". That's
> why he negotiated a one time fee for basic with MS and used GEM in the
> Atari, because it was free, or at least dirt cheap

Yep, Jack had a problem paying for a decent OS, I think he was broke most
of the time, so the 16/24/32 bit Atari ST family came with an OS he wrote,
in something like 90 days flat. Called Tramieldos. Far less capable than
the early amigados, it isn't capable of doing a whole lot that I have been
able to find.  Instead of a guru report when it got an upset tummy, it used
a 1 bit image of a cannonball type bomb, 3 wide, and you saw a lot more of
that than you did guru meditations on the miggy's.

The smaller atari's still had an M$ based dos of sorts.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Required reading:
<http://culturalslagheap.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/elemental/>
"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble.  It's
the
things we know that ain't so."
		-- Artemus Ward aka Charles Farrar Brown
         law-abiding citizens.