[Coco] NitrOS9 build errors

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 15:10:25 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Robert Gault wrote:
> Tormod Volden wrote:
>
>> Let me ask again, all of you floppy disk fans. What is the useful
>> information you need when you look at that disk image listing? How do
>> you normally classify those floppies and drives? TPI? Or tracks?
>> Capacity?
>>
>> See the refreshed http://nitros9.sourceforge.net/latest/ where I have
>> calculated a number of tracks from the "os9 id" output. Would it be an
>> idea to replace or complement the TPI with this?
>>
>> Tormod
>>

> You can follow the example of MESS when handling Coco floppies. Any floppy
> labeled .dsk is assumed to be single sided, have 18 sector tracks, 256 byte
> sectors, and a multiple of 35 tracks per disk; basically the JVC format.
> Any disk labeled .os9, means that the format must be taken from LSN0;
> permitting double sided disks of any size. Regards tpi and other info, that
> is a function of OS-9 and the drive in use and should be transparent to the
> user.

Hi Robert,

I am not sure if you are answering to my quoted text above? I am
concerned about the "real" floppy disk images, which are to be written
out to real floppies. The question is what is the best
identification/classification of these images so that people
understand which they can pick for their particular drives and
floppies. Considering that many of these people might not have
NitrOS-9 already, I guess their floppy writing tools don't have the
ability to decipher OS-9 LSN0 information.

This is more on the informational side.

> At the moment, NitrOS-9 does not handle adequately issues related to tpi and
> in some cases hard drives. Mark Marlette (because Cloud-9 is selling drive
> hardware) and Gene Heskett (because he seems to find bugs more than anyone
> else do to his extensive drive collection) should be queried to see what is
> needed for their hardware.

And this, on the functional side, I hope we can get sorted out as
well. On a related note, I have received Gene's and yours new rb1773
stuff.

Tormod