[Coco] NitrOS9 build errors

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Jan 21 08:59:45 EST 2014

Tormod Volden wrote:

> Let me ask again, all of you floppy disk fans. What is the useful
> information you need when you look at that disk image listing? How do
> you normally classify those floppies and drives? TPI? Or tracks?
> Capacity?
>
> See the refreshed http://nitros9.sourceforge.net/latest/ where I have
> calculated a number of tracks from the "os9 id" output. Would it be an
> idea to replace or complement the TPI with this?
>
> Tormod

You can follow the example of MESS when handling Coco floppies. Any floppy
labeled .dsk is assumed to be single sided, have 18 sector tracks, 256 byte
sectors, and a multiple of 35 tracks per disk; basically the JVC format.
Any disk labeled .os9, means that the format must be taken from LSN0; permitting
double sided disks of any size. Regards tpi and other info, that is a function
of OS-9 and the drive in use and should be transparent to the user.

At the moment, NitrOS-9 does not handle adequately issues related to tpi and in
some cases hard drives. Mark Marlette (because Cloud-9 is selling drive
hardware) and Gene Heskett (because he seems to find bugs more than anyone else
do to his extensive drive collection) should be queried to see what is needed
for their hardware.

Robert