[Coco] more 1 bit madness

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 21 01:24:30 EST 2014

Steve <6809er at ...> writes:

> Tandy did put a 3-voice sound chip in CoCo,  the never released Deluxe
> Color Computer that would sold for twice the price of the CoCo 2.
>
> But that's the problem.  Adding stuff like that would add to the cost of
> the computer.  The only reason we got the CoCo 3 was its build cost
> lower that the CoCo 2.

This is definetely the case.

What may have also swayed them away from providing sound is that Tandy sold
a sound and speech cartridge. They probably thought "There's your sound
chip!" and "we can profit by selling that as an add-on expansion" (along
with a multi-pak!).

With Tandy it was always about money. Keep costs down and profits up.

Nick