[Coco] The early days of Hacking and Coding a CoCo Was: Here's a CoCo 1 ...

Steve 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Sun Jan 19 00:14:07 EST 2014

On 1/18/2014 8:53 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> Le 2014-01-18 à 22:16:00, Allen Huffman a écrit :
>
>> That must have been much nicer to code with. I know many of us would
>> discuss what the professionals were using to write CoCo programs. I
>> guess the CoCo was self-hosted, though other systems (even in the
>> 90s, like Palm Pilots and such) seem to always have been cross compiled.
>
> Almost every iPhone development and Android development is done by
> cross-compiling, still now.

I could never see write code on an iPhone.  The screen is just too small.

Besides, these small device just don't have the power of a Desktop
computer with 16 GB of ram, eight cores at 4 GHz each and three
monitors.  Besides, it more about what you want to write code than
trying to use the target device for everything.

As for using a CoCo to develop on, back in the day there was every
little that was better to code on.  Sure, I could of used a mainframe
computer like Microsoft.  But Datasoft did not have the big $$$ for that
type of stuff.  Besides, sending the output of the assembled program out
the cassette port to another CoCo with the cloadm command running worked
well for those small 2K and 4K programs.  Zaxxon was the first game out
of DataSoft's CoCo division to use Floppies as part of the development
cycle.

Steve