[Coco] The early days of Hacking and Coding a CoCo Was: Here's a CoCo 1 ...

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Jan 18 23:16:49 EST 2014

On Jan 18, 2014, at 9:20 PM, Steve <6809er at srbsoftware.com> wrote:

> The terminal keyboard would only send the key pressed to the CoCo and would be the same as the CoCo own keyboard.
>
> The magic of EDTASM is how it does the output.  Microsoft EDTASM was design to interface with a Terminal.  So they would not have to change this part of the I/O and Edit systems, they wrote a CoCo screen output driver that took standard Terminal commands.

Ah!  So that would be output screen control and such -- positioning the cursor and the like on the terminal, like it would on the VDG screen.

That must have been much nicer to code with. I know many of us would discuss what the professionals were using to write CoCo programs. I guess the CoCo was self-hosted, though other systems (even in the 90s, like Palm Pilots and such) seem to always have been cross compiled.
-
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sub-Etha Software - http://www.subethasoftware.com - Established 1990!
Sent from my MacBook.