[Coco] Floppy hardware...

billg999 at cs.uofs.edu billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Wed Jan 15 10:37:46 EST 2014

> The jumpers on the TEAC 55-GFR allow for 300RPM operation, and the drive
> will format disks, but it can't read older disks I've got that were
> formatted and written with a true 360K drive. This seems to be a known
> issue with these 1.2MB 5.25" drives, and I understand the general
> recommendation is to avoid them. I'm tending to agree.

Interesting.  I have been using them for years on PDP-11's and
TRS-80's and even the COCO (Have one on my COCO3 now.)  I have
never noticed a problem.  I have read original TRS-DOS disks on
them.  Might have to do with the jumper settings.  It's been a
while since I read the specs but I am sure you need to do more
than just change the motor speed.

bill