[Coco] Another ROMable NitrOS9 question

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Jan 13 17:00:58 EST 2014

Bill, OS-9 puts the machine in full 64k ram state. So Coco 1 or 2 doesn't matter. Ideally, you would copy the rom to ram before executing the kernel. If not, any portion of the rom not being used by the OS9 code would be wasted as it could not be written to. The only real convenience of an OS9 rom would be instant loading for running in ram.
With the proper drivvers, you should be able to run the C compiler from a terminal, but I'm not familiar with running terminals. I know it was done in the 80s as I read messages on Delphi and BBSs about people doing just that to get an 80 column screen for c compiling. Also, a lot of people used the various 80 col cards. much less overhead on the cpu and only needed a /term driver (I suppose?).
In any case, the big thing is to trim your boot down and get rid of anything you're not using.
There's a complete article in one of the 85 or 86 (?? month) Rainbows on how to set up Level 1 for the C compiler. That article got me going. If I happen to locate it, I'll post the issue.

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com