[Coco] Another ROMable NitrOS9 question

billg999 at cs.uofs.edu billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Mon Jan 13 15:53:23 EST 2014

> This is a good point, dropping rb_1773 will gain you some precious
> ram.  Also if you don't need full screen capabilities, you can use the
> headless disks, which will drop the coco video modules altogether.
> This makes for a pretty massive gain in free space, at the cost of
> running anything that needs the CoCo console to be a VDG instead of
> just dumb terminal.  Should work great for running c compiler.

I'll try some of this.  Personally. I prefer working remotely from a
VT-terminal (usually putty but expect to want C-Kermit once I have a
Kermit server running on OS-9 again.  I have lost a lot of what I did
all those years ago when the only game in town was the original OS-9.)

But, it still leaves me wondering if it would be doable to replace
the BASIC ROM with a NitrOS-9 ROM and have a purely NitrOS-9 machine.
What would it take to disable the ROM in the COCO without completely
unsoldering it?  If I merely removed Vcc could I then overlay that
address space with a PROM in a cartridge?  So much fun, so little time...

bill