[Coco] Printing on a Coco with modern printers.

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Jan 12 15:55:37 EST 2014

On 01/12/2014 02:01 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> Le 2014-01-11 à 14:30:00, Joel Ewy a écrit :
>
>> His favorite saying was something about how PS was a general purpose
>> programming language that just happened to be good at putting marks
>> all over otherwise blank sheets of paper.
>
> When what you want is to allow the most complex graphics possible with
> a limited-bandwidth cable, the only way to plan for every possible
> upcoming interesting shortcut is to put a full computer inside of the
> printer and make the protocol a programming language. In some way, a
> generator of data is compressed form of its own output, and the
> decompressor is the interpreter that runs it.

True enough.  I always thought it was pretty interesting when I was
reading his "Hardware Hacker" column back in high school and college,
but at that time there was no way on God's Green Earth I was going to be
able to afford a PostScript printer.  I have a handful of old LaserJet
4s and 5s now, one of which is in active use.  Even so, I think I'd
rather spend my time setting up a Raspberry Pi as a DriveWire/print
server at this point.

JCE