[Coco] Printing on a Coco with modern printers.

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jan 11 14:00:36 EST 2014

On Saturday 11 January 2014 13:52:22 Mathieu Bouchard did opine:

> Le 2014-01-10 à 19:33:00, Al Hartman a écrit :
> > Fonts are generally not stored as bit map renderings, except at very
> > low resolutions. Fonts, like TT fonts, PS Fonts, or FancyFonts are
> > described using vectors and Bezier curve equations. The character is
> > then rendered by the printing computer and filled in.
>
> Even if they were stored as bitmaps, those bitmaps would be highly
> compressible in many different ways (RLE, edge-detect, ...).
>
> And then, the resolution of those things wouldn't have to be the same
> resolution as the printer itself. For example, those bitmaps could be
> rendered at 100 or 150 dpi, and then use only the extra resolution for
> the purpose of dithering the picture. The purpose of having 300 or 600
> dpi has been chiefly to avoid seeing the dots, and this is only because
> inkjet needs lots of dithering.

This is true to a certain extent, you'll recall that the original
postscript resolution is 72 dpi, and while we have much higher resolution
printers today, postscript and pdf's are still limited to a placement
resolution of 72 dpi.  And this is what, 30 years after adobe first used
postscript?  40 years maybe.

Out of that framework, very extreme compression is now the order of the
day. I have printed 480 page books, with lots of graphics illustrations,
even some color from a file that wasn't much over a megabyte.  The
dictionary system PDF-III uses is probably the most efficient large file
compression system extant today.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

QOTD:
	"Like this rose, our love will wilt and die."
         law-abiding citizens.