[Coco] Printing on a Coco with modern printers.

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Fri Jan 10 16:55:52 EST 2014

You over estimate the size of the files you would need for fonts, and the
amount of time to print.

Back in the early days of Zebra Systems, I made the catalogs and even some
of the manuals in WordStar on an IMSAI with a Z-80 processor running at
2mhz, printing to an Epson MX-80 F/T printer with a 9600 baud serial
interface.

I used a program called Fancy Font that would process the ASCII text files
which contained formatting codes similar to HTML and print the pages.

Fonts were held on single 8inch disks (SSSD), and there were more than one
font per disk in various sizes. If I specified a size not on the disk, the
closest size was upscaled to the needed size. The pre rendered fonts, of
course looked better due to hinting and use of bezier curve formulas.

Here is an example:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/timex/zebrafdd.jpg

It did not take 9 hours to print those two pages. Even when we upgraded to
an HP LaserJet 500 Plus, and used Fancy Font it still didn't take all day to
print at 150dpi or 300dpi at 9600 baud.

We upgraded the IMSAI to an MS-DOS clone, and I still used FancyFont and the
Epson Printer on that to print things (and later the LaserJet). The
pre-processing was faster, but printing still depended on the speed of the
printer port. Parallel was faster than Serial, and then the limitation was
the printer speed.

I still have copies of the MS-DOS software and some font disks, but without
the manuals I'm not sure I could figure it out today.

-[ Al ]-