[Coco] Printing on a Coco with modern printers.

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 08:22:11 EST 2014

On Jan 10, 2014 7:36 AM, "Steven Hirsch" <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jan 2014, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>
>> You will find that some modern printers that are described as"PCL
>> compatible" are actually only PCL capable because their driver renders
PCL
>> into whatever raw format the printer understands, so be careful when
>> purchasing.  Same for Postscript.  For example most HP business printers
>> come with drivers for PCL5, PCL6, or Postscript.  The printer itself
>> doesn't speak any of those standards, the drivers do.
>

> Unless something has changed very recently, HP laser printers still have
built-in Postscript interpreters.  At least they did the last time I looked.

Stand alone laser printer, yes.  Those aren't very common any more though.
Big companies have newer copier machines that do all kinds of fancy stuff,
small businesses tend to buy the all in one scanner/copier/printer devices,
and home users the color inkjets and photo printers.  None of those are
going to have a postscript processor in them.