[Coco] Nitros9 boot codes

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon Jan 6 22:52:28 EST 2014

> I am ending up with:
>
> SysGo i2xo*m
>
> boot failed   :-(

So continuing with what Bill posted, that message, Tim, probably means:

i=Init module found
2=entered OS9p2 aka krnp2
x= probably tried to chd to default device from Init /DD
o=tried to open default output from Init /Term

m=ascii $6D  $6D+$80=$ED = RAM full

The original text for bootdebug contains

"  When your system boots now, you'll see a series of characters printed out
on the boot screen.  Here's what they mean, in the order that you see them.

1 - OS9p1
t - boot tried (may be output multiple times, but only if you get 'FAILED')
b - calling Boot module
0 - Boot trying to read LSN0
F - LSN0 is being read off of the offset cylinder in an Eliminator system
. - Boot prints out one period for each sector of your OS9Boot file
b - returned OK from boot
i - Init module found
2 - entered OS9p2
x - tried to chd/chx to default device from Init module - usually /DD
o - tried to open default output device from Init module - usually /Term
C - trying to fork CC3Go
c - entered CC3Go
x - CC3Go trying to CHX to ./CMDS
d - CC3Go trying to CHD to /DD
x - CC3Go trying to CHX to /DD/CMDS (no idea why this is done)
p - CC3Go just about to try F$ID and F$GPrDsc calls
w - OS9 will perform a warm start on <RESET> after this is printed out
s - CC3Go trying to load Shell
S - CC3Go trying to fork 'shell startup -p'
a - CC3Go forking 'autoex'

   You probably won't see anything after the 'c'-entered CC3Go, but the data
is still there. If you can, do a 'ded /md@', and go to sector $760.  You'll
see all of the information there.

   If your system REALLY crashes, go back to DECB, and type the following line:

FOR A = &H6008 TO &H6100:PRINT CHR$(PEEK(A));:NEXT

   All of the characters will be printed out for your inspection.

   I hope this makes debugging boot disks a LOT easier!  I know I wouldn't
want to go back to not knowing what was happening.

   Alan DeKok."

Robert