[Coco] when...

iggybeans at comcast.net iggybeans at comcast.net
Mon Jan 6 14:15:18 EST 2014

> You did a good job avoiding our constant advertising about the book being
released back in the middle of December.

Yes, I am very good at isolating myself and ignoring the outside world when I have a project (or projects) to work on.
For about the last year this has revolved around three separate processor based projects (focused on using the HD63C09E, the MC68040RC33, and a new Freescale Qorlq PPC communications processor the T1042).

Pure hubris on my part thinking it would be easy to work on the lat two higher frequency cpus, but I have a stubborn streak. and once you go to lengths to dig up the PCI bridges for the former...

And the Color Computer community hasn't really seen any serious new developments in years (although I really liked Boisy's use of static memory in his latest memory expansion board).

These days I expend more energy encouraging my European friends to keep their Amiga related endeavors moving.

And yes, I moved to a PC, too.

The first one I assembled used a Cyrix 686 PR333 processor which I had running at 275 MHz with an S3 based video card.

I think it was 32bit color that finally forced my hand (I still remember being stunned by 24 and 32 bit color depth).

Back to topic.
While a Color Computer enthusiast at heart, I guess I jumped over the OS-9 divide.
Once I realized that all 68K OS-9 systems could be made to run the same software, even with their hardware differences, if everything ran through properly coded drivers, my interest in hard coded programming (like the bulk of Color Computer programs) pretty much died.