[Coco] Tandy 1000 (was: Another Radio Shack Article)

Harry Hurst hhos at st-tel.net
Sun Jan 5 13:36:00 EST 2014

> I found the Tandy 1000 series to be compatible enough for my uses back in
> the day.
>
> I'd put in a 20mb Hard Card, and install WordPerfect, Norton Utilities,
> XTree, Procomm Plus (and a Modem), and a database program and work pretty
> happily on it in the store.
>
> If I find one at a garage sale, or a swap meet... I'd grab one just to
> have
> one again. I prefer the later models like the TL, but even the first model
> is useful.

I still have my original T1K. It's not working, but I wasn't really using
it because I have a TX and a 2500SX/20. I still use the 2500SX
occasionally, and the TX rarely. I can't remember any software
compatibility problems with any IBM. I even ran several MSDOS disks on the
T1K. Hardware was another matter, though. For instance, I had to change
out ROMs before I could even run a hard drive in it, and the controller
had to be made for, or modified for, the Tandy specifically.

HH