[Coco] Another Radio Shack Article

iggybeans at comcast.net iggybeans at comcast.net
Sat Jan 4 19:07:41 EST 2014

> I got an Amiga 1000 in 1986 right before I headed off to college. It was a very powerful and innovative platform. Its graphics resolution was excellent at the time, and nothing on the consumer market came close to competing with it in graphics performance.

I have my feet in both the Coco and Amiga communities, and while I have a strong sense of devotion to the Color Computer, the Amiga market is by far the stronger of the two.

There are three next generation OS' based on AmigaOS and several new boards based on PPC processors from Applied Micro and Freescale Semiconductors (formerly Motorola).
I am typing this on a 2.3 GHz Power mac G5 running MorphOS and the Odyssey web browser.

We tried very hard to do something like this with the Coco but failed to reach the critical mass necessary to sustain it.
Perhaps if Peripheral Technologies and Delmar Company had released the revised 6809 plug in board for the PT68K they were working on, the improved legacy compatibility would have helped promote that move.

As NitrOS-9 is still a remarkable operating system, nothing prevents us from considering resuming this development but the will to do so.