[Coco] Another Radio Shack Article

Louis Ciotti lciotti1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 13:15:27 EST 2014

Lets face it anyone on this list is going to have some skewed opinion of
Radio Shack back in the day and Radio Shack now.  If one really thinks
about it our beloved RS has a tough road ahead of them assuming they are
going to attempt yet another re-branding.  I mean really where do they go?
Most on this list will ultimately say they have to get back to their
hobbyist roots, myself included.  But in reality that will be a disaster.
How many patrons will you see there to buy component parts, prototype
boards, electronics kits?  Todays youth, heck even in the 30+ crowd you
will find very little interest in building electronics.  With a population
so used to being able to hop in a car and go buy a radio, mp3 player,
blue-ray player all for under $50 each, nobody has an interest in building
anything.

There is no way they can get into the computer market, even if they
attempted, what would they sell?  90% of the non-apple fanatic market
will drag themselves to the local Walmart and pick up a windows PC for a
few hundred bucks and call it a day.

Gone are the days where people had to put up an antenna to watch 3 TV
stations, or have to change a tube to get the TV/Radio running.  The
need/desire for a bulk of the population sees no need to build anything on
their own.  Electronics have become disposable items.  Heck when was the
last time you seen a TV repair shop? Just look at how many people would
change their own oil, or flat tire.  In a society built off of instant
gratification, any store geared toward a hobby market will struggle unless
they cater to multiple hobbies at the same time.  i.e. hobby lobby-ish is
what pops into my mind.