[Coco] 6309 running in a Coco 1

Harry Hurst hhos at st-tel.net
Thu Jan 2 22:31:30 EST 2014

> My question is this.  Has anyone updated a L1 version of NitrOS-9 or OS-9
> for that matter to a 6309 version yet or should I begin to attempt this?
> All the L2 code has been updated to 6309, so side by side comparisons of
all
> like modules should be doable making the appropriate changes of course.
> Except for the modules with the MMU code in NitrOS-9 L2 would a
> replacement of 6809 modules that have nothing to do with the MMU logic
>for the 6309 versions of those same modules be possible to end up with
a >6309 version of NitrOS-9 L1?

I had been under the impression that NitrOS9 could be assembled as 6309. I
looked at a couple of module source files I have on my computer. The
krn.asm is the only one I checked that had conditional assembly structures
in it, but the condition was "IFNE H6309", which would evaluate to true if
H6309 was anything but 0.

These sources that I looked at are pretty old, and there isn't a lot of
6309 only code in the one file with the conditionals, but there may very
well have been a great deal done since then. It could all be done already!

> Has anyone else been thinking of doing this yet?  Surely I'm not the only
> one.

You're not the only one. I thought about it but I like my CoCo3's so much
better that I didn't try very hard, if at all. :) Still, I have been
trying to exercise my brain a litte more, so...maybe...? I'll think about
at the very least.

> I have upgraded the 68HC11 highlighter module for the programmer's ConTEXT
> editor for Windows to be 6809/6309 compatible plus I added all the OS9
> pseudo-op code and assembler directives that I know of or found in the
> Boot_rom.asm file I used as an example file to check my work, so now all
> the appropriate things get highlighted properly.

What is this? A 6809/6309 highlighter for a text editor? That would be
nice to have. My editors all identify the 6809 sources as 6502 assembly
language and apply that, which isn't bad, but not terribly useful either.
I only use Linux, though. I don't imagine that would work for me. How do
you edit something like that? I might try to do something like that, if it
hasn't already been done.

I'll let you know privately if I am interested in the Level 1 6309
project. First, I think I'll see if I can find the latest Level 1 sources.
If they have a lot of 6309 conditionals in them now it may be that you
will only have to start assembling modules to get what you want.

Regards,
HH